I can't believe it's Thursday already. I had a pretty good night- got up for each feed to try breastfeeding Heidi before going in to express. The breast pumps in the expressing room are pretty efficient and I use my hand pump on the other boob at the same time, so I'm getting quicker. I'm sick of the same trashy magazines in there, but I find myself still reading them!
I haven't bothered trying with the bottle for the past few feeds because it takes so long and tires Heidi out, but I might give it another go today once the speech therapist has been again.
Heidi had her initial hearing test yesterday and it came back inconclusive so they want to do a more thorough one today, plus she has to have her eyes tested today too.
D just rang to say he is on his way over. He wasn't going to go back to Newman for awhile but now he said he's had enough of being down here and might go home early, depending on what flights are available. It's hard on him because he's having to do everything with the kids by himself, and the kids are getting sick of being here too. It's hard on all of us and I don't know how much longer this is going to go on for.
Afternoon- We just got back from having lunch at KFC, and a drive past the beach (for B to have a sleep in the car). D has gone into see Heidi because the audiologist has come to do her hearing test.
I saw the speech therapist this morning who is going to try line feeding Heidi later on (milk going through a tube while she sucks on my finger). Heidi is now off her monitors so I might be able to have her in my room with me during the day which will be good. It might encourage her to feed more being with me all the time.
Evening- I ended up taking the kids to the Starlight room while we were waiting for D. They did some painting and had fun! We were in there until it closed at 4pm, so then we went to see if D and Heidi were back yet. They had just come back and Heidi was having her feed which was late by over an hour.
D told me they had to do three separate tests on Heidi and the last one needs to be redone next week sometime. I needed to express so D decided to go back to the hotel with the kids. Poor S was really upset and cried and cried because she didn't want to leave me. I know D couldn't be bothered dealing with her, but I felt horrible that I couldn't be there for her and saying goodbye.
I think D is getting to the end of his tolerance level. He really needs a break but I feel so helpless. I can feel myself getting more emotional the closer it gets to them all going home, but I don't want to burden D when I know he's trying to deal with his own stuff.
Dad comes down on Monday I think. He's been worried about Heidi and the rest of us so it will be nice to see him.
Tomorrow should be interesting if I get to bring Heidi into my room. I still want to spend time with D and the kids but I need to spend intensive time with Heidi if she's going to learn to feed.
Night- I went in for Heidis 7pm, and it turns out that the nappy rash she has is actually thrush. She's on oral Nilstat drops and an antifungal cream so hopefully they should clear it up. I'm not surprised she has thrush after being on antibiotics for so long.
She was asleep when I tried to breastfeed her so I almost didn't bother trying with the bottle, but did anyway. She did really well and drank almost 20ml out of the bottle. But she also swallowed alot of air and ended up with a gassy tummy. It was the best feeding attempt she's done, so hopefully she will continue to improve.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment