Thursday, February 8, 2007

Day nine- more doctors

I spent last night at the hotel with D and the kids which was lovely. I expressed before I left the hospital around 5pm, and took my hand pump with me. It was good to spend time with them all, but I'd almost forgotten how trying it can be (tantrums etc.). I didn't make any plans as far as expressing, but I couldn't get my hand pump to work properly for some reason. I hand expressed a bit before I went to sleep at 8pm then again at 11pm, but I wasn't getting much. I decided to not bother and wait until I got back to the hospital in the morning. When I woke up at 7am, my boobs felt like they were going to explode! I hand expressed and managed to fill two bottles!
We had breakfast and then came back to the hospital to see Heidi. I was going to wait to talk to the doctor but thought D might like a break from the kids so I took them down to the coffee shop then back to the room to watch tv.

Afternoon- D spoke to the doctor this morning. The nurses were a bit worried about Heidis IV starting to "tissue" again so the doctor said to just take it out and put her milk feeds right up. I have to try and breastfeed her before each feed now, but I don't know how she will go. I'm so happy she is off the drip and has no more needles in her poor little hands. I just hope she tolerates all the breastmilk she's going to be getting from now on.

The cardiologist had picked up a small hole between the chambers of her heart, but it won't cause her any problems and will close up over time. After D had spoken to the doctor, and I'd been in to see Heidi, we went out for a bit. We went to Harbourtown in the city and had some lunch. I bought some clothes for the kids, some bras for me, and D got another phone (which means I can have his old one!).
When we got back to the hospital the doctor was there and wanted to ask me some questions about Heidi. She was called away to answer her pager before I had a chance to ask her anything, but while she was away the geneticist turned up. He had a quick check over of Heidi before taking a detailed history of mine and Ds family. At the end of it, he said there were no genetic conditions evident with Heidi, and that it is hard to tell what is "normal" for newborns because they don't do alot at this age anyway. He thinks she may catch up in her own time.
Her poor sucking is probably due to her poor muscle tone which could resolve itself- or not. It's just a matter of waiting and watching to see if she picks up.
The speech pathologist is coming tomorrow so hopefully she may have some ideas or suggestions on how to get Heidi to feed. I tried to breast feed her again and I managed to get her mouth open which was a good start. She doesn't seem to get as annoyed when I try to feed her (she was pushing me away before) so hopefully she is getting the idea of what to do.

No comments: