Sunday, February 11, 2007

Day six- finally off to Perth

Still waiting for the RFDS to be ready to take us to Perth. I've got my bag packed and I'm ready to go. The nurse tells me she had a phone call that said for me to be ready in ten minutes. Apparently Heidi has to have an empty stomach when she flies so the nurse aspirates her stomach to remove and undigested milk. (This is about the third time it's been done, only to find out the plane is delayed each time).Half an hour later and still waiting.
The ambulance arrives to transport us to the airport, but they are sent away again when informed there is another delay with the plane. It's so hard to be patient but I have no choice.

The day passes and I've had enough. Around 7pm the RFDS doctor comes in to talk to the paediatrician about Heidi and find out how urgent her case is. They talk to each other like I'm not even in the room and between them decide she can wait until tomorrow. The nurse can see how angry and upset I am and asks what happens if there is another emergency between now and then and we are postponed again? The doctor doesn't seem to care.
He goes off to sit out at the nurses station, and I ring D in tears to tell him we aren't going tonight. Initially I hide in the kitchen, but then I decide that the doctor needs to see the effect of his decision so I walk into his view while I'm crying on the phone to D. The nurses are so understanding and I know they feel for me- they know how long I've been waiting.
When I get off the phone to D, the doctor comes up to tell me the plans have changed again- we can leave tonight after all. They have a nurse waiting and the pilot and plane will be ready in a couple of hours. Finally something goes right!
I ring D back to let him know and he's relieved. He's flying down in the morning with the kids and he expected us to already be there. At least now we can see each other tomorrow as soon as his flight gets in.

I have some syringes and sample jars in my bag so I can hand express milk on the plane or when I first get to Perth. I don't know what PMH provide as far as pumps etc. so I'll just have to wait and see. It's going to be a long night but at least we are finally on our way.

No comments: