We got to see the social worker today and she was really nice. She must deal with this sort of stuff all the time because she's good at what she does. She helped talk us through what we need to ask the doctors, and what steps we have to take next. She was going to give us information on disability support services but she wants to wait until we have spoken to the doctor first.
We had to wait until the afternoon to see the doctor. He told us Heidi is going to die, probably sooner rather than later. In a way this news was easier to hear than her initial diagnosis, and was almost a relief. He has said that we can probably take her home this week, but he has to speak to the neurologist first and have everything reconfirmed.
D didn't like the idea of taking Heidi home. He thinks it would be easier if it happened here (while we are physically detached from her) rather than take her home and have her with us all the time. I know this is going to be so very hard taking her home, but I know it will be better in the long term. I still feel like I need to be her mother properly and I can't do that in a hospital. I want to take her home and spend time with her in my own environment. I want to show people my beautiful baby and have them acknowledge her. I want to take photos of her with her brother and sisters. I want them to get the chance to have their little sister around and know that she is a real part of this family. I want to have something to remember other than the hospital.
Having her at home will make it all more real and help it sink in. And we will need that so we can grieve properly and (hopefully) not have it come back and haunt us years down the track. If we didn't do this, we would regret it- this is the only chance we get. This is going to be the hardest thing we will ever do as a family, but we will get through it together.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment