Thursday, January 25, 2007

Day twentythree- family arrive

Tuesday. Dad and my sister got here yesterday, but we didn't see them until just before lunch. We had gone into the hospital to see Heidi and do another tube feed. It was a different (nicer) nurse who watched me start and then left me to it. Jenny came in and I had another talk to her. While I was doing the feed a woman came in to have a look at Heidis bad nappy rash. She gave me some special cream to put on it and left instructions with the nurses too. D had taken the other kids up to the Starlight room so when I finished I went up too. Dad and my sister were there by now. D and I had to go and see the social worker so we left the kids with them (dad watched our kids while my sister tried to look after her two).
The social worker made an appointment for us to see a PATS (patient assistance travel scheme) officer to see about getting my flight home paid for, plus see if we get any rebate on the accommodation. She is really good and is going to get me some handouts on grief and loss to take home. She has told us to ring her anytime if we need her.

We went and had lunch with dad and my sister and then it was time to go and see the funeral director, so we left the kids in dads hotel room.
Never thought I'd ever have to do that for my own child. It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be, because it seemed like it was about someone else. I knew she was talking about Heidi, but I found it impossible to picture Heidi in a coffin. We got it all sorted out though.

We have to see Dr H today to ask him some more questions, and then we are going to try and book the tickets home.

Afternoon- Had a busy day. We got to hospital early and sat with Heidi for awhile, before going to see the PATS officer. The woman doing it was only filling in, so she wasn't as helpful as we'd hoped. She is going to ring Hedland PATS to see what they can do about booking my ticket home. I went and booked tickets for D and the other kids, so we are finally going home tommorrow.

I had the woman come in and take casts of Heidis hands and feet. Heidi cried a bit but only because I couldn't rock her while it was being done! She was ok though, and I picked out the frame colours and everything so it should be nice. It will be nice memory to have so I'm glad we thought to get it done.
Uncle J, Candy, Aunty M, dad and my sister all came in to visit. Because only 3 adults at a time are allowed in, I had to do several trips so by the end of it I was over it all. I am glad that Aunty M got to see her though, because she's the closest to mum.

No comments: